The open road

The open road
Running my leg of the Bison 50. 10/27/13

Saturday, May 31, 2014

Wrong Turns Were Alright (in the end)

Sometimes you have a day when nothing goes as planned and you feel like you need a do-over.  Today was one of those days for me.  On the schedule: run a marathon and go to work.  What actually happened: 7 miles and an afternoon of fundraising.  In the end, it was a good day, but it was way off course.  
After 3 weeks of no running I was nervous to test out my knee this morning.  I started slowly and took it easy. I was feeling really good about running again, and then I took a wrong turn. Yes, leave it to me to go the wrong way at the only turn in the whole race.  I would have been ok with adding a mile or 2, but it took me longer than that to realize what I had done.  My detour added 5 miles and over an hour.  I knew I didn't have a 50k in me and I was supposed to work later.  When I got back to the place where I went wrong, I headed to the finish line. I was disappointed and I felt very stupid. But, I took a minute to think and I had to laugh at myself and be happy that I got 7 miles in today after 3 weeks off.  My knee didn't hurt.  That is reason to celebrate. 
(This was on the wrong way, but it was pretty)
So, I drove toward home (was cheered up by Justin Timberlake) and went to brunch with my husband.  Work got canceled for today.   Then, I remembered a fundraising opportunity that I could participate in now that my schedule changed.  I got to spend time with friends and raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society all because I took a wrong turn earlier in the day.  Every mistake is a new opportunity. What follows depends on how you handle the change of plans.  

2 comments:

  1. Yikes! Sorry about that wrong turn! Glad you knee is behaving. I did a half marathon on Saturday and my IT Band never acted up once. I've been doing some exercises and a lot of foam rolling, but I think it helped that the course was so very flat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kinda quiet lately.

    ReplyDelete