The open road

The open road
Running my leg of the Bison 50. 10/27/13

Sunday, April 12, 2015

Wearing a different shirt

I am not signed up for any spring half or full marathons.  Not one. Early bird prices weren't as low as in the past, and the next time I checked prices were around $80 for a half. It just hasn't been in the cards this year.  To say I have been bummed is an understatement. My social media feeds are FULL of happy runner friends covering the miles, earning the bling, and enjoying post-race feasts.  My race envy is high.  Very high.  
But, on the flip side, my lack of racing has provided me with new opportunities to get out and volunteer.  And, if you haven't volunteered for a race yet, you really should give it a try.  In the past I have helped out with pre-race packet pick-up and registration which is fun and you get to chat with some of the nicest people around: runners and walkers.  Yesterday I donned the red volunteer shirt for the Rock the Parkway half marathon as a course monitor: Keeping participants safe on the course and providing cheers and high fives along the way. It was a great experience from beginning to end!  The other volunteers were nice, I got to cheer on friends and awesome strangers, and now my hands are sore from clapping. (Bring a cowbell next time, Laura.) Volunteering gave me some behind the scenes perspective and reminded me that each participant from elite to last to finish deserves a safe and fun experience.  Look for me out on the course this Spring if you race in KC.  

No comments:

Post a Comment